Sunday, November 22, 2009

This Week in DD 11/16-11/22 2009

I'm stealing this idea from my husband, who starting doing this on his blog today (gentlemansguidetodd.blogspot.com). I thought it might be helpful for people who follow both blogs to be able to read about our DD from both perspectives.

Part of Paul's post today helped remind me that even though I'm the one who brought this to our marriage, DD isn't all about me. I was particularly struck when he said that "Part of the reason I haven't been the HOH I prefer to be this week is that I haven't done all that I need to do."

Some weeks I find myself getting so frustrated when Paul lets things slide, and I jump to conclusions about why: He doesn't really believe in this, he thinks I'm crazy for wanting this, he's too lazy to follow through, etc. I end up thinking myself into a really bad place.

The truth is, neither one of us is perfect. No matter how long we practice DD, I'm never going to be perfect at submitting, and he's not going to be perfect at leading. We're going to mess up. I'm going to get spanked for some things 1,000 times and never totally get the point. That's ok. He's going to let things slide when he shouldn't sometimes. That's ok, too. What I need to work on is talking about it, and not psyching myself out about the whole thing...

Jenna

2 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm enjoying this so far. I am totally looking forward to more of your posts!

Kelly Read

Anonymous said...

I too brought this to our marriage. It is a process with frustrating ups and downs. I want to see it moving in one direction only. I waited so long to actually risk my husband's opinion of me, that any set backs cause insecurity of the topic (& me). It seems so simple from my perspective (which is rather unfair - consider the reversal & our inability to diagnose and treat correctly every time). During these times, my cyber friends remind me to remain in the proper mindset - that is - the true essence of how we see ourselves if we are living our dream HOH scenario. I'm really horrible at doing this - but I try. Keep behaving as if you've been spanked is the short of it! KayLynn